This is a new series I’m starting, I’ll be featuring different #techygrammer [IG] or #techygrammer [articles]asking questions and sharing it with you guys !
If you would like to nominate or suggest the next ‘participant’ you can comment below or DM me 🙂
I’m honored to present Laura as my first participant 😀
Hand you over to Laura !
My name is Laura Medalia. I am a full stack engineer at a health tech start up in NYC. I also have a tech tee shirt company and tech/fashion blog called lauramedalia.com. I love nerd jokes, chocolates, wine with friends, and reading. I am currently building a Scala micro service, working heavily on microservice infrastructure.
- Favorite application phone &/or desktop:Instagram for my phone! I love my notes taking app (on my phone and computer)- I am always jotting notes, ideas, to dos, blog posts, quotes, question, there- and I have my special systems for making sure nothing slips through the cracks. The key is having one place to store information, and a good system for things to get prioritized AND be easy to find (i.e. you know where to find x).
- Favorite tech item: I can’t think of just one 😁 My laptop, camera and phone are my top 3. Accessories: my headphones, keyboard and mouse.
- Most frequented website: localhost haha…but actually it is. Besides that depends!
A lot of documentation (Scaladocs/Finatra recently) and StackOverflow of course. I am a shopper so I will browse sites for new fashion inspiration. Netflix and Amazon are up there too. I don’t really surf the web much, like I have some coworkers who will go through sites like Reddit and Techcrunch all throughout the day- I’m never on those sites. Mostly just coding on my computer/reading articles around the code I am writing.
- Must have device: My iPhone I think.
- Must have software: Hmm Chrome + Spotify app + whatever IDE I am working in are used the most.
- Favorite OS phone: I have been using iPhone for a while
- Your dream tech: So many! I would love to get more cameras, I’ve been eyeing some of the lens cameras, a GoPro for easy video footage, the Phantom Speakers are so beautiful, and a new projector.
- What is tech to you: For me its the science of craft, which can be embedded in machines. Being able to use the processes/problem solving/creation techniques in machines is incredible!
- Favorite Back-end language: Depends on the use case! I am loving Scala right now.
- Go to snack when coding: Chocolate. Although honestly anything that doesn’t make my hands sticky.
- Track-pad or mouse? Trackpad when I am working on my Mac cause I have a lot of gestures hooked up to shortcuts but I need to stop because it’s not good for my wrists or fingers and get back to my Microsoft sculpt mouse.
- Touch or mechanical keyboard ?I’ve used the Microsoft sculpt keyboard + mouse for a long time and love it. That being said I just got sent a mechanical keyboard and am excited to try it out!
- Standing or sitting desk ?Standing 10000%. I don’t stand all day, but breaking up your day with standing for a bit totally makes a difference- easier on your back and also there is something about standing that kind of wakes me up. It helps me get out of afternoon sleepiness.
- Coffee / tea / soda / water ? …All ha. I drink a cup of coffee in the morning, then water + seltzer + lemon decaf tea. Then coffee again in the afternoon.
- Chrome or Firefox ? Chrome
- Music or silence ?When I am at work music 100%. My office space is open- so I can’t really get work done without noise cancelling headphones. At home I don’t listen to anything when I code- if I could I would always work in silence.
- eBooks or text books ?Hmmm depends! I think now eBooks make more sense for me- easier to transfer around and I get a lot of my reading done on the go (subway). I do have that old fashioned association with textbooks though that makes them feel romantic.
- Video or documentation ?100% documentation for me, I think that’s a learning style thing. I love reading documentation …. good documentation** and I think I am one of those people who needs to absorb at my own pace, with videos I either feel like its going too fast or slow. I think redux is one of the best documented frameworks btw, they show you what documentation should look like… Finatra I am honestly really disappointed with.
Learning more about my fav #techygrammer & having a laugh at the witty answers